Yum Chinese Char Siu - Honey Roasted Pork #RecipesInternational ~ Recipes and Writing International

Featured Posts

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chinese Char Siu - Honey Roasted Pork #RecipesInternational

Share & Comment




Char Siu roasted pork is also called barbecued pork, partly because of its reddish brown and slightly charred look around the edges. Also, called Chinese Barbecued Pork mostly found from Chinese Restaurants worldwide. Serves 4

Ingredients:

• 2 1/2 lb (1 kg) fillet of pork
• 2 tablespoons maltose or honey, dissolved with a little water
• For the Marinade:
• 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon yellow bean sauce (Guide Note: also called brown bean sauce, not to be confused with the yellow bean sauce used in Thai/Southeast Asian cooking)
• 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon Hoisin sauce
• 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
• 2 tablespoons brandy, whisky or rum
• 1 teaspoon sesame oil

Procedures:

1) Cut the pork into strips about 1 (4 cm) thick and 7 - 8 inches (18 - 20cm) long, and marinate, covered, for at least 8 10 hours, turning occasionally.

2) To cook: preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius/450 Fahrenheit/Gas mark 7, and place a roasting or baking tin filled with about 1 pint (600 ml) boiling water at the bottom. Take the pork strips out of the marinade, drain them well and reserve the marinade. Put the tip of an S-shaped hook through one end of each strip, then hang the strips on the top rack in the oven, making sure they dangle freely.

3) Roast for 10 15 minutes, then baste with the marinade, reduce the heat to 180 degrees Celsius/350 F/Gas 4, and cook for a further 8 10 minutes. Remove the meat from the oven, let it cool down for 2 3 minutes, then brush the strips with the maltose or honey syrup, and lightly brown them under a medium hot grill for 4 5 minutes, turning once or twice.

4) To serve: cut the meat across the grain into thin slices, and make a sauce by boiling the marinade and the water and drippings from the baking tin together for a few minutes, then strain into a gravy boat. Serve hot or cold.



Tags: , , , , , ,

Written by

A freelance writer, marketer and a blogger. Graduate of BS Chemistry at Colegio de San Agustin Bacolod City, Negros Occidental. Written first novel: Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW): The Game of Life. Worked abroad in the Middle East and Gulf Country.

28 comments:

  1. This is looking absolutely delicious !! I love BBQ food and more longer you keep them Marinated more flavours are there in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This is one of may favorite Chinese dishes. This, and Chicken Rice are all I had when I went to Singapore a couple of years ago. When we dine at Chinese restos, we always order this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love char siu! <3 It's been quite a while since the last time I've had it, so reading about this recipe makes me crave for some char siu! Anyway, thanks for sharing this recipe. I actually haven't looked up on how to make one myself. Will definitely try this one out some time soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so amazingly delicious. :D I just wish I could do this myself. Would be great to learn to cook this one. :D Will follow your procedures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chinese Food! Charsiu with roasted chicken rice is always an all time favorite for Malaysian Chinese ;) Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to eat char siu very much!~ It's so yummy and delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good! I love an easy recipe that can be used for main meals with the leftovers for lunch and this fits the bill. The glaze on the pork is very tantalizing..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a big fan of pork but your blog post made me salivate! Thank you for sharing this recipe. I shall try it out when my mother-in-law comes to visit the next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so unbelievably good! just looking at the photo makes my mouth water! Haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pork looks too luscious on the way it is cooked. Grilled, roasted, fried, broiled, boiled, pork is too inviting to eat. This charred pork with honey, how I wish I could try to savor it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Char siu roasted pork! I've only seen it on Top Chef episodes twice but never had it. Maybe I should make it for myself now, seeing that the recipe is easy to follow and doable for my skill set haha. Now I'm off to look for that brandy I hid last month! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pork is forbidden in my religion so I really dont know how it will taste. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of the dish that my family and I love to eat for lunch. Yummmsss. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I might try it during the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Char Siu is one of my all-time favorite Chinese dishes - and I like it tender & juicy. This is one dish that goes well with rice ( yes! ) and I like to eat it with a lot of chili.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!!! This is one of my favorite! Thanks for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love good char siew :) But believe it's not easy to make it ourselves.. Thanks for sharing such wonderful recipe still!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks so appetizing. Thanks bro for sharing the recipe. Perhaps, this weekend we will prepare this one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. One of my favorite meats since I was a child. I like the taste so much as is, or in a bun,

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is definitely a must try recipe that i will surely cook soon. Its really easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing your recipe! While most people like their Char siu with fats, I prefer the one with lean meat. I like this version which you recommended... Marination is important!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks fab! I am going to try making this with my airfryer and will try to let you know the result!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love honey roasted pork. It can be great pick up foods and also great meal.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks really good! I am gonna try it, but with "bake" with my airfryer instead. Will let you know if this turns out successfully!

    Thanks!
    Ling
    www.kidsonboard.net

    ReplyDelete
  24. This honey roasted pork looks divine. My kitchen will most likely get busy with this tasty recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That food is one of my guilty pleasures. Even though some say it is unhealthy, it doesn’t hurt to eat it once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't eat pork but that sounds like something I could do with beef, with tweaks to the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi! Sorry for the question, how often do you turn the pork while marinating? Is it every hour? It sounds very tedious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can marinate and turning occasionally until cooking. Or, see to it that the marinate will completely absorb by the meat. Cooking experiences will teach you why and how. It depends on your preferences and the spices too.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment and hoping to follow this blog. Have a backlink, for me to visit your blog too.

 

Italian Garlic, Tomato Chicken

Chicken Cacciatore - Italian Recipe

Copyright © Fernando Lachica 2014 Recipes and Writing International | Designed by Templateism.com